The Concorde Square, designed by architect Gabriel in the XVIIth century, is the largest square in Europe and located at the east end of the Champs-Élysées. This square in Paris has a bloody history with more than 1300 people beheaded within its boundaries.They included Louis XVI, Marie Antoinette, Charlotte Corday, Danton and, eventually, the architect of The Terror Robespierre himself.
In 1814, the name was changed back to Place Louis XV, and in 1826 the square was renamed Place Louis XVI. After the July Revolution of 1830 the name was returned to Place de la Concorde and has remained since. The center of the Square is occupied by a giant obelisk decorated with hieroglyphics exalting the reign of Ramesses II. Across the Seine River, you can see the chamber of Parliament with its particular greek style.
Just at the entrance to the Concorde Square are the Marly's Horses. There are eight statues representing the eight major cities of France; Brest and Rouen (in the northwest), Lille and Strasbourg (to the northeast) Lyon and Marseille (on the Quai des Tuileries) and Bordeaux and Nantes (in the southwest).